Friday, July 21, 2023

Important textual lines of The Cherry Orchard

Important textual lines with reference to the context of The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov


1. "If we're talking about the cherry orchard now, then I can tell you sincerely that if it has to be cut down then have it cut down." (Act 1, Lyubov to Charlotta) - Lyubov expresses her indifference towards the cherry orchard, suggesting that she is willing to let go of her family's ancestral property.

2. "The cherry orchard's been sold!" (Act 1, Anya to Lyubov) - Anya reveals the sale of the cherry orchard, emphasizing the imminent loss of their valuable estate.

3. "You know, it's eventually going to be divided up and sold off in parcels." (Act 1, Trofimov to Anya) - Trofimov predicts the fate of the cherry orchard, predicting its division and sale as separate pieces of land.

4. "The cherry orchard should've been sold long ago." (Act 1, Lopakhin to Lyubov) - Lopakhin argues that the cherry orchard should have been sold earlier for the family's financial benefit.

5. "Stop, my soul, don't wear out your strength opposing things that are beyond you." (Act 1, Gayev to Lyubov) - Gayev advises Lyubov not to struggle against the uncontrollable events surrounding the cherry orchard's sale.

6. "Oh, I'd rather live there, under the cherry trees, than anywhere else!" (Act 1, Charlotta to Anya) - Charlotta expresses her strong attachment to the cherry orchard, emphasizing its significance and irreplaceability.

7. "The cherry orchard is mine now." (Act 2, Lopakhin to the family) - Lopakhin declares his ownership of the cherry orchard, marking a significant shift in power dynamics within the play.

8. "The storm is over and I can breathe again." (Act 2, Lopakhin to Lyubov) - Lopakhin feels relieved and liberated after acquiring the cherry orchard, symbolizing his rise in social status.

9. "I shall have it entirely cut down." (Act 2, Lopakhin to the family) - Lopakhin announces his intention to cut down the cherry orchard and replace it with a profitable housing development.

10. "The cherry orchard is in blossoms again as it was on that day... Do you remember?" (Act 3, Lyubov to Anya) - Lyubov nostalgically recalls the cherry orchard's beauty and a significant moment from the past.

11. "Oh, go to the devil. I'll find another place to live in." (Act 3, Firs to Yasha) - Firs dismisses Yasha's suggestion to leave the cherry orchard, displaying his loyalty to the estate despite his own difficulties.

12. "The old oak trees can never be cut down." (Act 3, Trofimov to Anya) - Trofimov expresses his belief that heritage and history cannot be erased, comparing the oak trees to the cherry orchard.

13. "That's how it is here. You chop down the old cherry trees." (Act 3, Pishchik to Lopakhin) - Pishchik comments on the changing times and Lopakhin's ruthless actions towards the cherry orchard.

14. "The cherry orchard is no longer ours." (Act 3, Anya to the family) - Anya grieves the loss of the cherry orchard as a part of their family heritage, acknowledging its new ownership.

15. "Within a week they'll begin cutting down all those lovely blossoming trees!" (Act 3, Lyubov to Anya) - Lyubov expresses her sorrow and frustration at the impending destruction of the cherry orchard.

16. "It's my duty to escape from this oppressive place, as quickly and decisively as possible." (Act 4, Trofimov to Anya) - Trofimov believes it is necessary to leave the oppressive environment represented by the cherry orchard and pursue a new path.

17. "This house is doomed. Doomed, entirely doomed!" (Act 4, Gayev to Lyubov) - Gayev declares the impending downfall of their estate, symbolizing the end of an era.

18. "The cherry orchard is deserted, madam. Everyone's left." (Act 4, Dunyasha to Lyubov) - Dunyasha informs Lyubov about the abandonment of the cherry orchard, highlighting its current state of neglect and emptiness.

19. "You no longer believe in the cherry orchard, but I do." (Act 4, Varya to Lopakhin) - Varya expresses her unwavering faith in the cherry orchard, recognizing its enduring significance even though Lopakhin does not share the same sentiment.

20. "I left my book in the cherry orchard... I'll never see it again." (Act 4, Anya to Trofimov) - Anya laments the loss of her childhood memories and the sentimental items left behind in the cherry orchard, symbolizing the irrevocable loss they have experienced.

More important lines 

1. "We all know the cherry orchard is going to be sold; it's been announced for certain. My sister told me yesterday." - Act I

2. "Well, really, I must say, I'm astounded! I don't understand how anyone can speak to his father about such matters, so calmly, so quietly!" - Act I

3. "Auschin, chuck it! We must forget about the cherry orchard and the house altogether. Look at me: I've had to give up hunting, I don't play cards any more, I've taken to drink, and I'm going head first to the dogs. No, bat we must have a talk, a serious talk, about serious things!" - Act I

4. "But you and I are no more than children; we can't give an opinion; only that streak of red in the distance, through the wood, that's the cherry orchard, still completely green with bloom!" - Act I

5. "Oh, it's agony; it's horrible! I can't go on living like this. My head aches, my legs ache; I'm tired, tired to death!" - Act II

6. "The cherry orchard in the moonlight. Life, here I am, your child, singing to you, star of nature!" - Act II

7. "Well, you see, dear; our father slaves running about trying to get money for you to go abroad. He took a mortgage on the whole orchard yesterday. He's so anxious that you should go, I can't tell you, and now, you see, we have to mortgage the whole estate and we are responsible for every penny." - Act III

8. "Lubov Andreyevna, don't cry! Weep, perhaps it will relieve you; only don't talk! Let me do all the talking!" - Act III

9. "Why have you come? Why? To remind us of our lost youth and our lost happiness? It's cruel, cruel! I don't believe in you, I don't believe in you!" - Act III

10. "My cherry orchard is ours, my sister's and mine. It's in full bloom now, but when they come to sell it, then you'll have to play your guitar. I'm going to Moscow today to get the money!" - Act III

11. "I must go into all this with foreknowledge in me of what will happen, acutely conscious of our miserable, late, irrevocable parting." - Act III

12. "Enough! Stop! A man carries a cherry in his mouth and buries the stone!" - Act III

13. "My dear, old plans don't mean anything. I was mistaken! Our ideas have changed entirely! What did we want the cherry orchard for? It brought us nothing but anxiety and worry." - Act III

14. "Even if they don't cut down the cherry orchard, every tree will be sold one by one. We'll come to the sale, we'll wait and wait, we'll start laughing and making jokes to keep ourselves from crying!" - Act III

15. "Oh, my dear walls, oh, my dear rooms, you who have sheltered my generation, you have covered our ancestors. Now we shall soon become strange before your eyes, we shall be alien and unfamiliar to you, just as you are to the student who roams through here today!" - Act III

16. "It's absurd. Oh, I understand! For the first time in my life I understand everything!" - Act III

17. "Cherry orchard!" - Act III

18. "My friends! I'm going away from here, into the future! It's high time I concentrated on my life, and the life of my wife. I'm an egoist, a monster." - Act III

19. "Our lives are being utterly destroyed, the plague of our lives, the plague of our lives! Weeping softly. Destroyed!" - Act IV

20. "We've all been making a mess of our lives, and now we're paying for it. We shall pay for it long, long afterwards, and we shall pay for it in full." - Act IV


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Race Theory (CRT)

Critical Race Theory (CRT) emerged in the late 20th century as a response to the limitations of traditional civil rights approaches in addre...